Do you want to get to the La Vélodyssée cycle route by train?
THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, ACROSS THE ENTIRE TRANSPORT NETWORK:
- If your bike is dismantled and placed in a cycle bag:
and if it is a maximum size of 120 x 90 cm, it is considered as hand baggage and no reservation is required on trains in France. Maximum size accepted on Thalys trains is 135 x 85 x 30 cm. These bikes are accepted free of charge subject to available space, on board all trains (extra baggage option for OuiGo trains).
- If your bike is not dismantled and/ or not folded:
Free service, no reservation required, subject to space available, bikes are hung up or placed in the designated storage ares.
Between Brittany and Nantes: free service, no reservation required.
For trains operating between the Pays de la Loire, Poitou-Charentes, from Nantes to Bordeaux and on the Intercités line : Bordeaux - Montauban - Toulouse - Montpellier - Nîmes - Marseille - Nice (reservations must be made at the time of purchase of the passenger ticket) : compulsory reservation fee: 5€ or 10€ per bike.
Compulsory reservation fee: 10 € per bike (the reservation must be made at the time of purchase of the passenger ticket).
On TGV® Brussels-France: due to limited availability of space, bikes which are not folded or dismantled are not accepted on board.
|Due to limited availability of space, bikes which are not folded or dismantled are not accepted on board Thalys trains.|
|Non-folding bikes (or those over 85 cm long) must be booked in at the Eurostar baggage registration facility available in London, Paris, Lille and Brussels for a fee of 29€. NB: bikes are not allowed on board any Eurostar train departing from or going to Ashford or Ebbsfleet.|
|Due to space restrictions, non-folding bikes (even if dismantled) are not accepted on board ICE trains. To travel to Germany with your bike, take regional or InterCity trains which allow the carriage of bicycles.|
|In Spain, high speed trains only accept dismantled bicycles. Almost all regional trains (Media Distancia) accept bikes without a reservation, for a 3€ charge.|
Useful tip: In all trains, there is a limited number of bicycle storage spaces. We advise you to arrive sufficiently in advance, to avoid peak travel times and to anticipate your reservation.
Find out more about the ‘Train+Bike’ services: www.velo.sncf.com
What about travelling with a tandem or bike trailer?
- You can travel with a recumbent bike, a tandem or trailer provided that these items are dismantled and placed in a carrying bag.
- Good to know: the SNCF offers a dedicated bike delivery service!
Train+vélo: various alternatives for travelling 'Train+bike'
- Solution N°1 : Consider having your bike delivered to your final destination (Mimizan, La Rochelle, Nantes…).
Examples price with France Vélo :
Bayonne – Bordeaux = 124€ (fixed price for 1 to 10 bicycles)
Hendaye – Nantes = 296€ (fixed price for 1 to 10 bicycles)
Solution N°2 : The SNCF also has a luggage delivery service (Bikes are categorized as 'oversized luggage': price 80€/bike).
- Solution N°3 : Consider hiring a bike wich can be left at your en destination: several rental companies offer "one-way services".
- Solution N°4 : Rent a bike at your arrival train station or close to your accomodation. See the map of Accueil Vélo accredited bike rental companies.
- Solution N°5 : Use the bike dismantling kits available from July 14 at these stations: Hendaye, St-Jean-de-Luz, Ciboure, Biarritz, Bayonne, St-Vincent-de-Tyrosse, Dax, Bordeaux St-Jean, La Rochelle, Nantes.
Tip: You are advised to take trains which are not affected by bike restrictions (a maximum of 6 to 12 spaces per train depending on time of travel). On these trains the usual conditions for bike carriage apply: find out more on the TER Nouvelle-Aquitaine website.