25,38 km cycling route from Marans to La Rochelle
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
The Marans to La Rochelle cycle route
Greenway along the Marans Canal to La Rochelle except for a tricky undeveloped section of path to Dompierre-sur-Mer. Cycle lanes continue right into the centre of La Rochelle.
A signposted cycle route takes you to the Ile de Ré.
Train + Bike
La Rochelle station:
- TGV for Poitiers > Tours > Paris and Poitiers > Bordeaux
- TER for Luçon > La Roche-sur-Yon > Nantes and Rochefort > Saintes > Angoulême
Most trains allow you to take your bicycle with you, placed in a space provided for this purpose. Please note that the number of places is limited and is subject to conditions. Find out more at SNCF.
Plane + Bike
You can arrive at La Rochelle airport from France or Europe. See the travel conditions on the page I'm coming to La Vélodyssée by plane.
The highlights of the route
- Must-see: discover the Marans chicken conservatory! Did you know that the Marans hen is a cross between local hens and Asian fighting cocks taken on board by sailors? The "Marans" lays dark red eggs renowned for their taste!
- On the discovery side: in Marans, the Notre-Dame des Marais church and its atypical bell tower made of glass and brushed aluminium. Enjoy a 360° panoramic view of the whole town and its surroundings from the bell tower, which is accessible during the summer.
- Adventure: a boat trip on the Green Venice, with a boatman or on your own, is a guaranteed adventure!
- For your taste buds: the fricassee of maraîchines eels, grilled with parsley, to delight your taste buds!
Angelica is a plant that is known for its many virtues and can be enjoyed in many forms: candied sticks, jam, angelica chocolates, sweets, liqueur, but also essential oils.µ
- Events: you haven't heard of the Moul'Stock Festival which takes place in June? Good rock and mussels and chips for an open-air, rhythmic and ultra-friendly evening!
In La Rochelle, there is of course the Francofolies in July, but also the Festival Jazz entre les 2 Tours in October.
- For families: your children will not forget the La Rochelle Aquarium in a hurry! They will visit the heart of the oceans and travel to meet more than 12,000 marine animals, to dream and understand the sea!
Other stages of the cycle route